Paired with an IPA
Zach and I eat bowls ALL the time. I’m serious. I’m pretty sure I eat a bowl in some shape or form at least 3-4 times a week. I mean they are soooo versatile. Just think about it…
Breakfast: oatmeal bowls, egg bowls, smoothie bowls.
Lunch: noodle bowls, rice bowls, quinoa bowls, salad bowls.
Dinner: noodle bowls, rice bowls, quinoa bowls, salad bowls…
Yeah, I know. Dinner and lunch are pretty much the same, but that’s what makes them so great. You get to layer. You get to layer all the things! From rice to quinoa, and salsa to small green salads, you can literally put anything in a bowl…and I am seriously obsessed with them.
It took me a while to get Zach on board. Zach doesn’t like to mix his food. This is the second close person in my life who doesn’t like to mix their food. My sister could NEVER have her food touching and she ate each item one at a time. Zach does this. Zach doesn’t like ANYTHING touching. You know how we all love to dip the turkey in mashed potatoes and then smother it in gravy on Thanksgiving day? Yeah, Zach would probably vomit. While he still will not mix his food, he has come around with bowls, and I’m so happy because I love to make them.
These jerk-seasoned chicken and Caribbean rice bowls are one of our new favorite dinner recipes. You will be amazed at how much flavor is in a dish that is created in less than an hour. The jerk seasoning takes the chicken to the next level while the salsa tones down the spiciness. You must make them. You must! Pair them with an IPA and enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise (so that you have 4 pieces)
- 1 cup brown or white rice, cooked per manufacturer's instructions
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray it with a nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add the orange juice and mix to create a paste. Spread the mixture on one side of each of the chicken breast pieces and place them on the baking sheet. Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rice according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Prepare the black beans, by combining the black beans, water, jalapeno, and a dash of salt and black pepper in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until the beans are tender, slightly mashed and hot. Remove from heat.
- To a small bowl, toss together the avocado, mango, pineapple, cilantro and lime juice to create a light salsa. Set aside.
- Assemble your jerk-seasoned chicken and caribbean rice bowls by layering chicken, salsa and black bean on top of a bed of write or brown rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!