Paired with a Barleywine
Good morning, everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful week. Why does it feel like that after summer ends, the fall and winter seasons seem to drag? I don’t necessarily mean this as a bad thing. Fall and winter are my two favorite seasons. I love bundling up and heading out to rake leaves or shovel snow, and sitting by the fire sipping a dirty chai latte is my idea of the perfect evening in. Is it the short days? That because it gets dark at 4:30 and we still have 6 hours before we turn in for the night is the reason the days seem to drag? Or is it the snow?
We’ve definitely seen our fair share of snow here in southern Wyoming already this year. I think I was just talking to my parents (who live in Eastern PA and central NJ) about it being almost 80 degrees in their neck of the woods this past weekend. I could hardly believe it! What is this nonsense?! I have to say, I wasn’t jealous. I’ve already dove head first into all things cozy blankets, soft scarves, and comfort food, including this slow cooker chicken marsala stew.
What is it about stew? What is it about stew that makes it taste like winter. Oh sure, you can get away with eating the occasional soup throughout the summer months, but stew? You don’t hear much about stew being served in the summer. I’m pretty picky when it comes to stew. It can very easily become bland and boring, especially when it’s made in the slow cooker, but this slow cooker chicken marsala stew is anything but boring.
Chicken marsala is one of my favorite dishes, but rarely do I make it. It’s not that it’s a difficult dish to make, but it does require a few steps that I normally do not have the time for. That’s why this slow cooker chicken marsala stew is such a fun way to get the marsala flavor without all of the work!
Recipe for this slow cooker chicken marsala stew is below! Pair it with a barleywine. I will really bring out the flavor of the marsala wine! Have a great day everyone!
- nonstick spray
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more as needed)
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes (for serving)
- Spray your slow cooker with a nonstick spray. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and place on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Pour Marsala wine and chicken broth on top. Cover and cook for the stew on low for 5-6 hours.
- After 5-6 hours, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Cut it into 1-inch bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch until the cornstarch has dissolved. Whisk it into the slow cooker and add the chicken. Cover and continue to slow cook for an additional 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning to taste and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- Serve the chicken marsala stew on top of a bed of rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!