Pair with a Pale Ale (heavy in citrus notes)
Good morning friends! How is everyone’s week going? I have decided to not post a recipe tomorrow (Friday). It’s just been a crazy, insane week with us moving and all. I hope you guys don’t mind. I know, I am a total slacker, but I am making up for it by posting the perfect recipe for your weekend parties: this caramelized orange and fig salad. And if you aren’t having any parties, make this salad for yourself why don’t ya?!
I feel like we forget that it is still fig season. I know that I forget. We get all wrapped up in pumpkin and squash, and forget that figs are in season through fall! While prime citrus season is still a ways off, I love the combination of figs and oranges. This salad highlights those flavors.
I’m going to let the photos do most of the talking today and keep it short and sweet! Those boxes aren’t going to unpack themselves! Recipe for this caramelized orange and fig salad is below! Pair it with a pale ale that’s heavy in citrus notes and have a wonderful day! xo
- 1/2 cup honey (more as needed)
- 10 ripe figs, cut in half
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 clove of garlic, finely minced
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 4 cups fresh greens (I used baby arugula)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the honey. Allow the honey to warm up for about 2 minutes and then add the figs, cut side down. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until the figs are nice and caramelized. Remove from the figs from the pan.
- Add more honey to the pan if it seems to have reduced a lot, and then add the sliced oranges. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until they are slightly brown and caramelized. Remove the oranges from the pan and turn the heat off.
- Whisk the white wine vinegar and salt and black pepper into whatever honey is left. Then gently pour the olive oil into the pan, whisking vigorously until all has been added. Set aside.
- Assemble your salad by layering the greens on a serving platter. Place the oranges and figs on top and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with fresh feta and serve!