I know. I KNOW! This is literally my fourth breakfast post in a week and a half. I told you that when I get on a roll, I seriously get on a roll. I am not ashamed, and any excuse for pancakes makes for a pretty spectacular day. Besides, it’s Friday. Time to celebrate! I’ve got a super special recipe for you today, and it involves essential oils. I am a big fan, but I’ll get into that in a moment. Did you know that utilizing essential oils goes above and beyond diffusing them or rubbing them on your temples? Yup, you can totally cook with them too. Uh, BONUS! On the menu today? Raspberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes utilizing lemon essential oil. Can I get a yum?
Happy Friday friends! I hope you guys have exciting plans for the weekend; and if you don’t, you must add these raspberry lemon ricotta pancakes to your weekend brunch menu. You will not be sad about it.
First things first, don’t let the word “ricotta” scare you away. Ricotta is a great creamy element to add to any pancake or waffle recipe. I often either use Greek yogurt or ricotta in my pancakes, and either one can be substituted for the other. You don’t necessarily get an insane ricotta-like taste. It really just adds the perfect texture. There is nothing I hate more than a stiff pancake. Ew.
Raspberry and lemon make up the core components in these pancakes when it comes to flavor and I love combining the two in breakfasts and desserts. Raspberries are one of those berries I always have in my fridge, and when I don’t have fresh ones, I always have frozen ones as a backup.
Now, let’s talk about the star of this show: the lemon! I’ve teamed up with a few blogger friends to bring you a monthly series dedicated to cooking with essential oils. Now if you’ve never heard of essential oils, Wikipedia describes them as “concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants.” That basically sums it up. They have many uses. I mainly use them for diffusing because I tend to be an extremely stressed and anxious person. They really calm me down and make my days a little brighter. ;) I’ve just recently started cooking with them, and there are so many great uses for them. This month we are highlighting lemon, and I am so happy about it as lemon is one of my favorite flavors on the planet. If you aren’t entirely familiar with essential oils quite yet, 2-3 drops of lemon essential oil is equivalent to the zest of one lemon when it comes to strength of flavor, so substitute wherever you see fit.
Below is a group of delicious lemony recipes utilizing lemon essential oils plus my recipe for raspberry lemon ricotta pancakes. Pair them with a citrusy pale ale and have a great weekend everyone! xo
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 drops lemon essential oil (zest from 1 lemon + 1 teaspoon of lemon juice may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese (Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- 100% real maple syrup, butter, fresh raspberries (for topping)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon essential oil, oil, ricotta, whole milk and vanilla until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine. Do not over mix. The pancake batter should be lumpy. Fold in the raspberries.
- Preheat a griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, spray with a non-stick canola oil spray and pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Do not overcrowd the pan. Work in batches if you must. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles begin to form. Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate for serving.
- Top the pancakes with butter, 100% real maple syrup and fresh raspberries. Enjoy!