Warning: mysql_num_fields() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/justine/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 3088
Is it Friday yet? Ugh, what a week it has been, and it’s only Monday! I don’t think anyone ever prepared me for what it took to clean a larger house. You grow up wanting the biggest, baddest house, but your parents fail to tell you that you will actually have to clean it! Or maybe they do tell you, and you decided to ignore it. Either way, it sucks. In all honesty though, the pros totally outweigh the cons. I’m just really ready for a nap. ;) So anyway, let’s talk cider … delicious, spectacular, insanely-addicting cider. Tieton Cider Works came to me recently asking if I’d try out some of their recipes and cider pairings. Now, as most of you know, I tend to lean towards beer as my beverage of choice (see above URL), but many of you may NOT know that I have a secret obsession with cider. After a crazy few weeks, I finally got the chance to try some of Tieton’s delicious ciders. You guys, you don’t want to miss out. You have GOT to try them…all of them…in any order you prefer. One of the recipes that was sent over was this Green Bean Chicken Salad with Curry Vinaigrette. I made it this weekend, and it was one of the most magical things I’ve ever put in my mouth. Who knew that a simple curry vinaigrette would be the perfect dressing?! Read ahead for more on this delectable pairing.
I love this green bean chicken salad for the upcoming picnic months. It’s scary to admit that Memorial Day is right around the corner. After such a long winter, I think we are all craving a little “picnic” in our lives. This recipe is great for such an occasion. Over the past couple of days, I’ve had served this salad warm, at room temperature and chilled. Guess what? It’s great all ways! This makes it super versatile and perfect if you are in charge of a side dish at your next BBQ or picnic.
What is also so great is that it’s different from most chicken salads. I fell in love with the curry aspect of this dish. It’s one-of-a-kind, and like nothing I’ve ever had.
Cider: Tieton Cider Works’ Apricot Cider
Cidery: Tieton Cider Works
Description: Tieton has taken the meaning of “cider” to a whole new level, and it’s not just their Apricot Cider that is superb. I’ve had a couple of their ciders now, and I am seriously obsessed. I love apricots. They are one of my favorite fruits out there, and the fact that they have made them the star of the show in this cider is just miraculous to me. You get a lot of freshness from this cider, which makes it great for Spring and Summer months, but it is also slightly dry. This is an attribute I absolutely adore when it comes to cider. This cider pairs superbly with this salad. You want something refreshing, but still something robust in flavor. This cider is anything but light in flavor. It is packed full, and you totally want that when you are pairing with a curry. This recipe (and pairing) is simple guys. Any home cook can get the job done, and the result will blow your mind.
In the next few days, I’m sharing with you another recipe paired with one of Tieton’s ciders, but this time I’ve come up with my own! I’ve made a grilled sweet potato salad that you do not want to miss out on, and I may or may not have thrown some cider into the mix as well ;). Stay tuned, and have a great day!
This green bean chicken salad is an original recipe from Sharon Campbell, of Tieton Cider Works, and Olaiya Land, Seattle Chef; and it is delicious!
- 3 tablespoons shallot, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (optional - if you are craving a little bite)
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups waxy potatoes (Yukon Gold or fingerlings), halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups tender young green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons mint, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a small sauté pan, cook the shallot with a pinch of salt in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat until just tender, 1-2 minutes. Add the curry and cook for one minute more. Remove from heat and transfer to small bowl. Set the sauté pan aside.
- Whisk in the white wine vinegar (if you are using it) and 4 tablespoons of olive oil into the bowl with the dressing and set aside.
- In a small bowl, gently toss the cherry tomatoes with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Place the tomatoes, cut-side-down on a parchment-lined rimmed sheet pan. Roast at 275 degrees until slightly softened and lightly caramelized, about 1 1/2 hours. (Tomatoes can be prepared ahead of time and stored, covered, at room temperature.)
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with 1-2 tablespoons of water to a boil. Place a steamer basket in the pan and add the potatoes. Steam potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through but still firm. Remove steamer basket from saucepan and set potatoes aside to cool. (Potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and stored, covered, at room temperature.)
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with generously salted water to a boil. While you wait for the water to boil, prepare an ice bath by filling a medium bowl half full of ice and covering the ice with cold water. Cook beans in until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath.
- When completely cool, drain, transfer to a towel and pat dry.
- Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in the pan used to cook the shallot then add the corn kernels and sauté until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Combine all the salad ingredients with the dressing and serve!
- Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple or days. Best served warm, at room temperature or chilled! Enjoy!
Hardware: * Measuring Cups * Measuring Spoons * Sharp Knife * Cutting Board * Saute Pan * Whisk * Mixing Bowls * Sheet Pan * Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat * Saucepans * Steamer Basket * Ice Bath * Towels * Airtight Container *