Once in a while, I just want a really good salad. This chopped chicken salad combines some of my favorite salad ingredients. I’m a sucker for a combination of fruits and veggies when I make a salad. I think it’s that touch of sweetness I crave from the fruit that gets my wheels turning. From blueberries and strawberries to cabbage and cucumber, this salad has it all. It’s topped with a homemade cashew butter honey mustard that may just be the simplest salad dressing you will ever make. The sky is the limit with chopped salads. You can put just about anything you like in them which makes them one of the most versatile recipes on the planet. I like to throw whatever is left over in the fridge (and on the verge of going bad) in my chopped salads. It’s a great way to use up leftovers. It’s also a quick and simple dinner solution on busy weeknights. We paired this salad with a great Double Rye IPA, so read ahead for more!
Beer: He’Brew/Cathedral Square St. Lenny’s Double IPA
Brewed By: Shmaltz Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
Description: This Belgian-Style Double Rye IPA is spectacular. I wanted something on the hoppy side for this food pairing. This ale is hoppy, but it is also so much more than that. With malty notes and citrusy aromas, this beer is the perfect pairing for a light and refreshing salad. It also has just a touch of sweetness that you crave with a hoppier brew. It’s one of a kind and a great double rye IPA all around. I highly recommend giving it a go if you haven’t yet! It won’t last long, as it is limited. Act quickly before it’s too late!
Chopped Chicken Salad is loaded with fruits and veggies. It''s topped with a light and refreshing cashew honey mustard dressing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (canned)
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, yellow or red, cut in half
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (almond butter or peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 2 tablespoons mustard, stone-ground
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breast and season with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. Cook until brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your fruits and veggies while you wait for the chicken to cool.
- Toss the chicken with the spinach, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, cucumber, garbanzo beans, grape tomatoes, red cabbage, goat cheese and toasted almonds. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the cashew butter, oil, coconut water, mustard, honey, garlic powder, cayenne and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are smooth.
- Serve the salad with the cashew butter honey mustard and enjoy!
Hardware: * Measuring Cups * Measuring Spoons * Sharp Knife * Cutting Board * Saute Pan * Wooden Spoons * Large Bowl * Food Processor *