It took me a very long time to get myself to even attempt to eat salmon. I have never really been a fan, until this burger came along. Zach swore that I would like it if it was prepared in a way I would enjoy. This burger totally proved that theory. I think my hate for salmon started a long time ago when the first time I tried it, it was the super fishy, farm-raised, pink-injected stuff. It scarred me for life. I have always loved basically every other kind of fish (even the crazy stuff that most people wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole). Now that I have accepted salmon into my life, I feel like I’m finally with the “in-crowd.” It’s such a good feeling. I will, however, only be sticking with salmon burgers until I get used to it. Then maybe I will upgrade to a straight filet =). Baby steps. Baby steps. So enough talk about my transition into the world of salmon. Let’s talk about the recipe itself. This burger is scrumptious. I packed it full of delicious flavors (this may or may not have been to try to mask the taste of the salmon itself…it didn’t work…but I found that I was ok with that). Ginger, cilantro, soy sauce and garlic are just a few of the gazillion ingredients in this recipe. These burgers are great on a roll or a slice of lettuce. Either way, it’s a big win in the world of burgers.
Recipe Fun Facts:
The degree in which you choose to cook your salmon burger is totally up to you. We cooked ours to medium because Zach told me to. We also had a beautiful premium salmon filet. As a result, I didn’t feel as nervous cooking it to a lower temperature.
Hey, I told you that I’m a newbie at this stuff. Feel free to cook it longer if you wish. Just don’t burn it. That would be disastrous.
These burgers would also be great as sliders, which is how I’m going to prepare them next. I really think they could be the perfect game day finger food. The Superbowl is right around the corner. We seriously need to start thinking about these things! In my personal opinion, the Superbowl is one of the greatest food days of the year. Gotta do it right, and salmon sliders would totally be “doing it right.”
Beer: Ninkasi Brewing’s Tricerahops Double IPA
Brewed By: Ninkasi Brewing Company
Style: Double IPA
Description: I think hoppy brews go great with fish, especially salmon. Tricerahops is perfect for the job. It is florally in both aroma and taste. It’s the perfect pairing. With this burger’s bold and spicy flavors, this full-bodied, Double IPA compliments each and every bite
Salmon burgers are a great alternative to a traditional beef burger. They are simple to make and super delicious.
- 1 pound fresh salmon, skin removed and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- lettuce, for burger
- tomato, for burger
- hamburger rolls
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the salmon, shallot, garlic, green onions, cilantro, ginger, panko bread crumbs, soy sauce, fish sauce, lemon zest, egg, a dash of salt and pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Stir until the ingredients come together.
- Form the salmon mixture into 4 equal sized patties. Place on a parchment paper-lined plate and cover. Refrigerate for 30 min. (Note: The patties can be made a day in advance.)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side for medium (5-6 minutes for medium-well to well done). Each side should be golden brown. Remove the patties from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to get rid of any excess grease.
- To prepare your mayo, combine the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro and a dash of salt in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until the cilantro is broken up and the ingredients have come together.
- Serve the patties on rolls or lettuce wraps with tomato and cilantro mayo.
Hardware: * Measuring Cups * Measuring Spoons * Sharp Knife * Cutting Board * Large Bowl * Large Non-Stick Skillet * Parchment Paper * Large Plate* Paper Towel-Lined Plate * Food Processor *