Tacos are our go to when we don’t know what else to make. Frankly, I think tacos are one of the most amazing inventions on the planet. You really could put just about anything into them, and they are delicious. Last night would be no different. So why did we take the easy way out and decide to make tacos last night? Well, to make a long story super short. Zach and I drove up into the mountains on Saturday and ran a nice long run of 16 miles through the Rockies. It was gorgeous (and crazy). After any long run, for some odd reason, I crave fried chicken. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s all that salt loss. Who knows, that’s certainly not the point. So Saturday night, we splurged on deep fried chicken wings and had ourselves a wing feast. Put it this way, Sunday morning, we were not feeling so hot. We definitely needed something light and refreshing to make up for our fried extravaganza the night before. These tacos hit the spot. They are a marinated grilled chicken taco (a little spicy) topped with a fresh pineapple salsa (a little sweet). We paired it with The Bruery’s 5 Golden Rings because why wouldn’t we? It’s brewed with pineapple! I certainly recommend these grilled chicken tacos with pineapple salsa if you are trying to “detox” from your fried chicken coma.
So I hope everyone had a wonderful Father’s Day weekend! I don’t know what it was like in other parts of the country, but here in Colorado it was gorgeous. Fruit salsas seem to be a favorite of mine here lately, and the pineapple looked so glorious at the grocery story that I knew I had to throw together a pineapple salsa.
Anytime we ever have anything pineapple, I have to pair it with The Bruery’s 5 Golden Rings. This beer is one of my favorites of all time. What’s so great about it is that it’s not in your face tangy with pineapple flavor. Yes, it does have hints of pineapple, but it’s all of the other flavors that make it so delicious. They brewed it with the great “Christmas” spices of cinnamon, allspice and ginger. Oh by the way, this is a Christmas beer. I know it doesn’t make sense, but it makes enough sense to me so just go with it =). The only thing that totally sucks about this beer is that it was brewed once and then it was done (last year to be exact). This beer is part of The Bruery’s 12 Days/Years of Christmas series and each year they come out with something different, so unless you are going to buy it off of someone who already has some or you are lucky enough to see one still sitting on the shelves at your local bottle shop (unlikely), then you will need a back up. Unlike 5 Golden Rings, most other fruit-inspired beers tend to be wheat based, but they are out there. Keep an eye out though, any fruity brew will do with this beer pairing.
We made a fantastic cold barley salad with these tacos last night and that recipe will be up later in the week. I hope everyone is ready for the start of Summer and has a wonderful week! It will fly by, I promise! Have a great afternoon everyone!
Marinated grilled chicken tacos with pineapple salsa combines sweet and spicy to make a perfectly, easy summer dinner option.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, minced
- 1 fresno pepper, stem and seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow dish (with a lid). In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, honey, brown sugar, chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Now prepare your pineapple salsa. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pineapple, jalapeño, fresno, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, sea salt, and lime juice. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Remove your chicken from the fridge and grill on medium for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from grill and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes. Once rested, sliced your chicken into thin pieces.
- Now assemble your tacos. In your taco shell, place a layer of spinach leaves and top with sliced chicken. Top with the pineapple salsa and a few pieces of avocado. Serve cold or warm.
Hardware: * Grill or Grill Pan * Shallow Dish (with lid) * Small Bowl * Whisk * Medium-Sized Bowl * Wooden Spoons * Tongs * Plate * Inactive Time: 1 - 2 Hours