I was craving wings, like your traditional buffalo wing, but we didn’t want to go through the hassle of frying them up. I also wanted to eat something somewhat on the healthy side, and wings would be going a bit overboard. I’ve seen many recipes for a buffalo chicken taco, but never really took any consideration into making them until last night. I did things my own way though. By dredging tiny cubes of chicken breast in flour and cayenne and pan frying them, you get that true buffalo wingy taste. Then by topping them with all of the delicious goodness you get when you eat a buffalo wing: celery, bleu cheese, and avocado; my oh my oh my. And of course there’s that whole putting it in a corn taco shell thing! Oh my god, these were amazing, yet light enough where I wasn’t so full I wanted to go straight to bed after eating them. I ate three of them, and literally had to stop myself. I’m pretty sure Zach enjoyed them too =). We paired them with a delicious side dish of rice and beans that Zach cooked up, and you will be able to find at the end of this post. These are such a “healthy” alternative to your traditional buffalo wing! Enjoy!
With spicy food comes spicy beer, at least that’s what I was craving with my spicy buffalo chicken tacos, and we had the perfect beer in stock: Ska Brewing’s Mole Stout. One of my favorite beers of all time is New Belgium’s Cocoa Mole from their Lips of Faith Series, but I decided to go a different route and try a different chile beer. Ska Brewing’s version is to die for and was the perfect compliment this dish. It’s rich and creamy and just pours out aromas of all kinds! Cinnamon and spice and everything nice. The perfect compliment to the perfect dish! I definitely recommend trying it out. It may be different for some folks, but I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised. =)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into itty bitty cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- bleu cheese dressing (however much you want!)
- 1 cup romain lettuce, chopped into strips
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Calrose rice (or other sticky rice)
- 3 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 tbsp dried mexican oregano
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 2/3 cup water
- Begin by combining the Frank’s Red Hot and butter in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until ready for use. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix together then add the chicken cubes. Mix together and set aside.
- In a wok or a deep saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add half of the chicken and pan fry until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat this step for the rest of the chicken. After all of the chicken has been fried, toss it in a couple tablespoons of the buffalo sauce. Refrigerate the remainder of the sauce for later use.
- Now start constructing your tacos. Spread a thin layer or bleu cheese on top of the corn tortilla. Add the lettuce, then chicken, then celery, and last but not least the avocado.
- For the rice and beans, in a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic, and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add the rice and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the rice begins to lighten. Add the tomatoes, beans, oregano, ancho and water and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.