As January comes to an end, I’m pretty sure that all we are thinking about around here is football and the Superbowl. I’ve been on a kind of football food craze here lately, and today was no different. I tried to keep it light and fresh today when I was playing around with some recipes, and these baked pretzel-crusted chicken tenders made it to the top of the list. They were super delicious and super fun. They were super fun because anything you get to eat with your fingers is fun in my book! These little guys are seriously the perfect finger food. They are incredibly easy to make and super quick to whip up. The honey mustard just takes it to a whole new level, and who doesn’t love a good homemade honey mustard?! It’s literally my favorite condiment. These chicken tenders are baked, not fried, and the perfect alternative to a traditional chicken tender. You will love them, and I can guarantee your kiddos will love them even more!
Beer: Big Choice Brewing’s Double IPA: Hemlock
Brewed By: Big Choice Brewing
Style: Double IPA
Description: Big Choice Brewing is local to those of us living in the Denver Metro area, and we love them. Their Double IPA, Hemlock, is extremely tasty. It’s just hoppy enough, but not out of control. It has hints of chocolate and malt, that brings an abundance of flavor to every sip. I love a good IPA with light and savory recipes. It’s just sweet enough to balance out the flavors of this chicken, and we highly recommend it!
These pretzel-crusted chicken tenders with honey mustard are the perfect finger food and perfect for game day!
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup pretzels, crushed
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound chicken breast, sliced into 1 inch slices
- flat-leaf parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the honey mustard. Split the honey mustard in two, reserving half for dipping and half to coat the chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray the rack with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In one bowl, combine the flour and a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the crushed pretzels and panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Season your chicken slices with salt and pepper. Dip them, one by one, into the flour mixture. Fully coat the chicken and let any excess flour sprinkle off. Dip the flour coated chicken into half of the reserved honey mustard, and then place them in the bowl with the pretzel/panko mixture. Generously coat the chicken with the mixture and then place on the wire rack. Repeat this step for the rest of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken at 400 degrees F for 15-16 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Rotate the baking pan half way through (at the 8 minutes mark).
- Serve the chicken immediately with the reserved honey mustard. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!
Hardware: * Measuring Cups * Measuring Spoons * Sharp Knife * Cutting Board * Food Processor (for crushing pretzels) * Small Bowl * Whisk * Wire Rack * Baking Sheet * Non Stick Spray * Bowls (of all sizes) * Meat Thermometer *